Cornwall Works 50+ and 50+ Cares
Cornwall Works 50+ and 50+ Cares deliver employment and skills related support for people aged 50+
Ruby Wax headlined Cornwall's 1 in 4 international mental well being and work conference - all the news here..
Short of time?
Click on the links below to find out about Cornwall Works 50+ in 50 words!
Cornwall Works 50+ in 50 words
Cornwall Works 50+ Cares in 50 words
If you can't find the information you are looking for call the Cornwall Works Hub on 01872 355015
Contact Bev Wilson,
the Cornwall Works 50+ and 50+ Cares
Visit the Taen - The Experts in Employment Network for the latest in employment news, including age legislation, or visit their own dedicated 50+ Works site.
Cornwall Works 50+ and 50+ Cares
Cornwall Works is the ‘Ready for Work’ strategy for Cornwall and Isles of Scilly, raising employment rates, reducing worklessness, and enabling inclusion and opportunity for all. A number of delivery programmes have been developed as a direct result of the strategy, including Cornwall Works 50+ and Cornwall Works 50+ Cares. The former is targeted at overcoming barriers to work and the latter for improving skills in the workforce, for example by developing route ways into new career opportunities such as working in the care sector. Both programmes are funded through investment from the European Social Fund (ESF) Innovation, Transnational and Mainstreaming Programme (click for more information).
People aged 50+ are an important part of the total workforce and as it is clear that many of us will have to work well into our 60’s before a state pension and/or retirement from work is an option. Therefore it will be increasingly important to provide help in overcoming barriers, maintaining and developing skills and so opening up new work opportunities.
Dave writes about the Cornwall Works visit to France to see how they build confidence, inclusion and jobs - check out his findings click here....
Please click the links below to find out more about:
- Our Innovation Projects
- Read Dave's 50+ blogs here!
- Our work with our Transnational Partners
- Sarah's Page, featuring reports by Sarah Yeoman, our roving reporter
Did you know that in the UK:
- The 50 – 64 age group represents over 11 million people, of which less than two thirds are in employment. This employment rate is much lower than for people aged 25 – 49
- The 50 – 64 age group have been adversely affected by the current downturn and tend to be out of work longer than other age groups
- The 50 – 64 age group has a high number of people with no qualifications
- Older newly redundant claimants have a number of key barriers to work that stem from having long work histories e.g. the lack of a CV, lack of job application experience and lack of familiarity with the modern labour market and with online job application procedures http://statistics.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/rports2011-2012/rrep766.pdf
And in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly:
- ‘The number of older people in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly is projected to increase by a quarter between 2007 and 2017; this will raise the share of the labour force over 50 to 34.4%’
- ‘The population dependency ratio i.e. how many people (over 65) are dependent on people of working age is projected to increase to 11.6% by 2031, from 43 to 48 (click here for more information). This is significantly higher than the South West (predicted to increase from 38 to 44) or nationally (from 31 to 36).
The Cornwall Works 50+ programmes are involving other European countries such as the Finistere council in Northern France and partners in Sweden and Poland. This transnational cooperation will enable innovations to be tested, shared and spread across the transnational participants.
Cornwall Works 50+ and 50+ Cares are two very active programmes and progress will be updated here on a regular basis. For more information on the projects contact the Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org, email email@example.com or call the Cornwall Works Hub on 01872 355015.
Final evaluations of Cornwall Works 50+ and 50+ cares
Cornwall Works 50+ meets ComeBack@50 in Germany.
Cornwall Works 50 + has for long been proud of what it has achieved for the older unemployed in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, and this has been highly regarded upcountry too and won various awards.
But the antennae have always been up too to see what can be learned from others and so busy fact finding missions have been to Sweden and to Brittany and Poland.
The most recent of these has been a packed trip to Germany to compare notes with similar projects over there. As ever the similarities were greater than the differences in the way in which committed individuals and teams go about their business seeking similar goals with the over 50’s.